Friday, December 14, 2007

Ways to enjoy a cold winter night

It's been quite brisk in London. Nothing like the ice storms I am thankfully missing back in the Midwest, but still pretty cold. This means I have done absolutely nothing worth mentioning in the last week, besides catch a cold (great) and eat a box of cookies (about as great as the cold. Sugar makes me feel gross).

But last night I had quite an enjoyable evening. Here are some surefire ways to enjoy yourself when the mere thought of going outside makes you panic.

1. Queue up a bad movie such as Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

2. Put on some handmade socks that you forgot you owned.
(I think these were some kind of Trekking. I made them last year, and the colors are so delicious I actually smile every time I see them. The whole time I was knitting them I just talked incessantly about how beautiful they were. I am so glad I found them)

3. Make a cup of peppermint tea.


4. Pop a Steak and Guinness pie in the oven. I've had Steak and Guinness pie about 3 times this week. It's bordering on an addiction. It's just such great comfort food, and the Guinness gravy makes it so delicious you can hardly stand it.

5. Need I even say it? Grab your knitting! I am alternating between finishing the foot of my SECOND Q sock and my super secret project. (For more on the super secret project, keep reading. I'm really bad at keeping secrets...)

And that, my friends, is a good night full of comforts. Bad TV, knitting, and warm, yummy food. a girl couldn't ask for more.

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was how I wrapped my dad's finished sweater. Keeping in the theme of free, recycled and interesting ways to wrap presents, I grabbed my ironing board and a huge stash of grocery bags. I fused them together while listening to a podcast, and voila...

...a sweater envelope. I love it!


I leave for Bath tomorrow at 8:00am and it will probably a long while before I have a chance to blog again. I'll definitely be back at the start of the new year (my flight into London will be on the 6th) with many stories to tell, but probably not too much knitting. According to Eric, Japanese yarn is cheap in Japan, but who knows what that means.

So I leave you with many well wishes for your holiday season, along with a revelation. You see, I'm no good at keeping secrets. And my super secret project most likely won't be blogworthy until I get back to the States and moved into a new apartment. The only reason it's a secret as all is because I don't want a certain someone to see it, someone who doesn't read this blog anyways. (I don't think). So, if you are curious, head on over to Ravelry.com. My username is chasingmyself. Within the confines of the knitting world, consider the cat out of the bag.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who wasn't thrilled with Pirates 3.

Enjoy your travels! What an exciting way to spend the holidays.

(Found you on Ravelry, by the way.)

Catherine said...

Thanks for stopping by Danielle! I couldn't hate Pirates 3 because of Johnny Depp, but I am more excited for his appearance in Sweeney Todd!