Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cow pats and slouchy hats


One of the newspapers here ran an article a few days ago called "30 Reasons to Hate the French."

I laughed so hard I had to post it on my bulletin board, partly because it was a little true (my French family members sorta fit into, well, all the catergories), and partly because the fact that it was in the paper seemed both ironic, sophomoric, and just so English.

My favorite one, number 21 reads
"Because they took a cow pat, and turned in into a hat. Well, thats what a beret is, right?"

Well, I suppose that is one way of looking at it. My latest hat does look like a bit of a cow pat, I suppose, from certain angles. In that sort of trendy, hat way.

I don't know what it is about the slouchy beret. I never got the craze back in the States, but apparently England has imbued me with a burning desire to wear a cow pat as a hat. (I knit another one, with no cables, just for fun, and don't know what to do with it. Don't worry, no more slouchy hats will appear on the blog anytime soon!)

Unfortunately, this latest hat signaled the end of my 1 quid yarn from the market. I need to go shopping (probably), or only work on my father's sweater (highly improbable.)

Either way, it feels good to be knitting this much. Productive, fun, and it's giving me a lot of quality time with my favorite girl, Buffy.

No comments: