Sunday, February 28, 2010

Out with the Old

Spring is approaching. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. No matter how much snow is on the ground, March is tomorrow!

Remember that saying about March? "In like a lion, out like a lamb." Of course, here in the Midwest that saying could as well be "In like a lion, out like a rabid pack of lions tearing apart your frozen flesh," or "in like a lion, out like a lamb who just kicked you in the groin after escaping from the pasture." I'm sincerely hoping and praying that this lion and lamb of a month will prove to be at least a little less snowy than February.

In the meantime my cabin fever has metamorphosed into an urgent need to finish things. Any thing. I'm nearly unpacked and the last finishing touches, such as furnishing my guest bedroom, are in full swing. The dogs have been unwillingly groomed, the cats are, well, cats. The car is scheduled for an oil change and a carwash,and my dishes are all washed and dried.

All that leaves is knitting. Knitting, spinning, crocheting, and above all...finishing. Over the past several months (years...ahem) I have begun more projects than I care to mention. They've moved with me across the country, and now remain in boxes that may as well be their coffins. They lay in wait, calling out to me every time I dare open a box of yarn. My father's "Christmas" sweater, for instance, needs to be seamed and blocked. A scarf design for the Persistent Pooch needs a lace edging. My spinning wheel has been consumed by an ever growing pile of roving and unraveled sweaters.

Now, with the snow still piled at the door but the sweet promise of spring in the air, I'm turning my attention to finishing things. My spinning wheel was the first to come out of purgatory, as was the box of sweaters to unravel, half unraveled sleeves, and carelessly wound balls of yarn. My goal? to get at least 10 skeins of yarn plied, washed, and either listed on Etsy or carefully put away for future knitting. I want this done soon, so i'm hoping to have all ten skeins plied and washed by the end of the day.

Two down...eight more to go!


I've already unraveled a stunning green/teal sweater my grandmother handed down to me precisely for this purpose. The resulting yarn is a fingering/DK weight 100% wool in a beautiful rich teal color. I was originally going to ply it with a light blue wool, but quickly fell in love with the simple, rich, single. So this jade Uruguayan yarn stands along, and is destined for Etsy in the near future. It will feel good to cross that off my every-growing fibery to to do list!

What are you doing to prepare for spring?

I'm considering this a spring cleaning of sorts. The stash must go. The yarn must be turned over and tilled to make way for new projects, ideas, and creativity. Remember, March is in like a lion and out like a lamb. And that lamb brings more wool.

No comments: