Thursday, April 16, 2009

Toys and necessities every college student should have

I've been meaning to post this for a while but somehow life manages to get away from me, and weeks have flown by faster than I would like!

I am an avid thrift shopper. It took me a while but I have scoped out all the thrift shops around me, and know which ones have the best sweaters (for the wool) and which ones have the best kitchen appliances. Today, I found a wonderful bike for $30, which i promise I will blog about tomorrow!

A month or two ago Eric decided he wanted a typewriter. We bundled up (since it was in the middle of a blizzard as became the standard in the Midwest this winter) and headed to Goodwill. After about five minutes Eric had found several typewriters, and I found my eyes locked on a certain item.


There, surrounded by old curling irons and outdated technology was a large, plastic box in that familiar shape that can only mean one thing. I beelined across the messy store and $15 later owned my first sewing machine.


It's an old Signature machine made by Montgomery Ward in the 1960's (although feel free to correct me on this information!) And, even though it is old and clunky, and a little dusty, it's built in a way that the new machines I'd be able to afford on my college student budget just simply aren't. A $200 machine at Joanns or Meijer would last me a year or two, but I'm pretty sure this beautiful 40 year old machine could last another few decades.



I've been using this machine like crazy. Like any good college student I instantly employed it to make some extra money, and have been hemming pants and repairing tears for other K college students.

But the really great thing is just having a machine like this! And you can't beat $15. Thank you thrift shopping!

2 comments:

Trina said...

Wow that's a great find!!! And its good that you found a new bike too :)

Anonymous said...

I recongized that machine immediately.
I have one exactly like it. A Montgomery Wards
that I bought in 1969 I think and have used ever
since. You are right, it's built to last.
Enjoy!