Saturday, February 14, 2009

Loose Ends

I've been binging on sweaters from the thrift store lately. Seriously, it's getting to be a problem. I have a wicker laundry basket that contains no less than 10 sweaters waiting to be unraveled, plus a pile of half-unraveled sweaters, plus another pile of recycled skeins of yarn. The problem is, I never really DO anything with the sweaters once I unravel them.

From Skeins and Steins

But I can't stop! There is something addicting about the process--washing, unraveling, and skeining the yarn. Right now I'm ripping apart (with a great amount of satisfaction)a men's XL sweater, 70% wool and 30% nylon. I love the feeling of the stitches succumbing to the ball of yarn in my hands, and unventing the cables as I go. I love stretching the sweater out and thinking what its next life will be. I really just love every step of the process.
From Skeins and Steins
I'm not sure what this lovely brown yarn will turn into, but I do know that it is a fun weekend project! I'm so close to having it all unraveled, then I just have to put it on my Niddy-Noddy, skein it, and figure out the yardage.

No comments: