Thursday, November 22, 2007

Turkey Day!

Happy Thanksgiving all you Americans! I know at least a few of you read my blog :) If you happen to be British, I ask you a simple question. WHY DON'T YOU HAVE PUMPKIN PIE OR CANNED PUMPKIN IN THIS COUNTRY?

No pictures or knitting for now...I've been swamped with an essay on James Joyce's Ulysses. I turned it in this morning and headed right for the kitchen...

....where I cooked my first Thanksgiving Dinner ever! I had a lot of help, and it was a wonderful affair.

I should mention, Thanksgiving is quite a celebration in my family. My mother was born and raised in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Enough said. So, it seems that deep in my veins runs the undying lust for perfect turkey and massive amounts of mashed potatoes. And pie. Lots of pie.

(I didn't do my own turkey -we bought pre-sliced breast and just marinated it and roasted it. Hey, it was my first thanksgiving!)


So eat well, drink well, and be thankful dear friends. Today is a day to be thankful for, and I am happily, and tipsily being thankful for all the good things in my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember my Foreign Study Thanksgiving in Nairobi. We wound up eating dinner with some folks from the British embassy. They conjured up a "squash" pie. It wasn't pumpkin, but it did have the right spices in it so it passed well enough!