Friday, October 12, 2007

Beret Me



My first thought upon arriving at Goldsmith's College, University of London was "I miss the sunlight."

It is possible the second was "I miss American food. And Taco Bell."

But certainly the third was "I need new clothes."

In all seriousness, sometimes I feel like I'm Alice, only to discover that Wonderland is an Urban Outfitters. People here are fashionable. I've seen more skinny jeans and ankle boots here than in my previous 21 years combined. Eye makeup, high heels, and indie-rock ensembles make Goldsmiths a really unique place to attempt to mesh into. And, what does every indie rocker need? The answer seems to be a beret. Handknit, preferably. A little funky, but not too eye catching. Something you happened to throw on in the morning to cover the hair that may still reek of cigarette smoke from your night at the Oasis cover band concert across the street, or dancing till dawn at one of the many local pubs.


So of course, I knit one. Last week I had picked up a few balls of Lana Grossa Royal Tweed in a rich purple, with a vague beret idea in mind. A day later I had a cabled companion for all my nights out. I can now drink and dance the night away in style, and even protect my head from the constant rain!

No comments: