Wednesday, December 21, 2005

the Christmas Grind part 1

This morning, at 7:00, we got in the car to drive Hannah to Union Station. SEVEN A.M. Seven. In the MORNING. Normally this wouldn't be too bad; evil, but not unbearable. But last night was my annual Christmas party. Over the years, they've become more casual, more laid back, and more fun. Almost all my friends from highschool stopped by in one form or another, and we cleaned up in RECORD time.

This, I am ashamed to say, made me feel like I was losing out on valuable knitting time. Must. Keep. Knitting. Christmas is only 4 days away! I'm still young and foolish - I started a sweater maybe last week! And the foolish mistakes keep on coming. I have two right hand hobo gloves, half finished gloves for my mom, and a Lopi sweater in need of a yoke. The next two days should be fun.

But speaking of Lopi, this is my new passion (besides the newly learned brioche stitch). This sweater is for my dad.
the 200 stitch yoke is damn near killing me right now, but the pattern is wonderful and fun to knit. Camilla Valley Farms was very prompt, and their prices are reasonable. But i screwed myself over (see above. Christmas stupidity) and had to pay $27 for shipping. So much for bargain shopping.

Thats my problem - bargain shopping never really works out. I'll never find EXACTLY what i'm looking for at the cheapest price, or, if I do, I need it shipped from Canada that day, and end up paying an arm and a leg (although on my mother's credit card). As much as i'd like to be a bargain yarn shopper, i'm drawn into expensive yarn stores filled with Lorna's Laces and Manos de Uraguay like a moth to flame.

It makes Christmas expensive.

No comments: