Sunday, March 08, 2009

Of Plarn and Kittens

I'm having so much fun with the alternative yarns I've been spinning. I picked up several t-shirts this weekend for more t-shirt yarn, and spent a good chunk of today making plarn.

After homework, vacuuming, and laundry, I sat down with a huge pile of plastic bags. A little while later, I got this:

Several balls of plarn, ready to ply with other reused materials, and the rest of the bags neatly stacked, ready to be cut.

There are a lot of great tutorials on how to make plastic bags into plarn. If you are interested, I suggest doing a google search, as well as a you-tube search. It took me a long time to find the way that works best for me, but when I did, it was such a revelation.

And, now that I have all these bags ready to go (and some even spun already!) I'm ready to start hunting for more. It's nice to get them in colors--like the B&N bag you can see in the picture, and I'm toying with the idea of plying colored bags with white bags to create a more interesting yarn. As I keep saying, the sky is the limit with these sorts of things!

And, here is a gratuitous picture of Roo-san, with his favorite toy (much to my chagrin).















Have a good Sunday afternoon everyone! I don't know about you, but I'm missing that hour of sleep we sacrificed this morning.

1 comment:

Trina said...

Good idea, plying white bags with coloured ones - that sounds like it will work really well!