Monday, February 11, 2008

Market Days

Yikes, I'm about 3 days behind in blogging. (I took pictures on Saturday with the intention of showing you, and now it's already Monday evening!) It was an eventful, and wonderful weekend here in London.

This week is our "Reading Week", where students either study and write essays, or go home. If you are an international student (like moi), it means you travel. Or, like me, spend your days wandering around London, enjoying the freakishly warm weather and blue sky.

Exhibit A:
(Okay, so that picture wasn't actually taken in London. It's a cathedral somewhere in Western England...consider it a hint. It's from where I went on Sunday! But the point is...that sky...oh that sky.)

What with the weather around 60 degrees (Fahrenheit) and the sky devoid of all clouds, I headed to Greenwich, to walk in the park and browse the market, my normal weekend morning activities. I try to go to Greenwich market often; my flatmate thinks it's "touristy" but hey, I'm a tourist, and I couldn't love it more. I rarely buy things, but spend a lot of time wandering around the booths.


Saturday however, I was pleasantly surprised to round a corner and find yarn. A lot of yarn, and very nice yarn. Apparently, Knitshop has had a booth in Greenwich since June, and I've just missed it! It was definitely a nice find, and to make up for having missed the vendor before, I bought two small balls of yarn, for some charity projects I've been working on.


I couldn't pass up the adorable ball of handspun wool. It's about 2.2 ounces of soft, grey wool, and I was so tickled by the label, as well as how cute the ball was itself! The other purchase was some light blue, fingering weight Caline yarn from Bergere de France. I have never heard of the yarn, but I found it on Ravelry and I am really enjoying working with it! It's quite soft, and I've already gotten two pairs of baby booties out of it, with a ton left.

The next stop of my Market visit was to a vendor who sells handmade glass jewelry.

I got this beautiful pendant for my Grandmother's birthday. I swear, I probably stood around staring at all the glass pieces for 15 minutes before I could finally make a decision! This piece was only about $25, which, considering the quality, is great! I am really excited to give it to her.

There was one more non-crafty treat before I left the market, in the shape of a bag of coffee. Specifically, 114 grams (1/4 lb) of Butterscotch Toffee Coffee,which smells divine. I pass the coffee vendor every time I leave the market, and after 4 months I cracked and bought some. It's such a nice treat!

Market days are always my favorite, especially with a long walk in Greenwich park afterwards. I can't really put into words how excited I was to find a yarn vendor at the market! Their prices were reasonable, they had a great selection, and beautiful yarn. I can't wait to get back there. In the meantime, I'm going to keep knitting baby booties and drinking my coffee.

No comments: